Peebles Volunteer Fire Company was established in April of 1944 when the county of Allegheny awarded the department a charter after the Sisters of Divine Providence granted a land lease. The founding organization was made up of 17 members, a barn and a trailer to transport any equipment. It was not until 1953 that the department purchased their first fire truck, the 1953 Mack. The purchasing of this vehicle, instead of acquiring it, exemplified a positive direction for the company.
With the continued growth of the community, the company had outgrown the barn. In 1960 a fire hall was constructed with a large meeting room, kitchen, and two bays to house the trucks and equipment. This is the building you see today. The only notable change to the structure was in 1966 a third bay was added and in 1990 a training building was added in the rear of the hall. Later on in the 90's the company was facing a dilemma with aging equipment. That department considered numerous options but concluded a fire sale would yield the best outcome. With support from the Town of McCandless the plan was put into effect. Once the sale had ended only the 1953 Mack survived and was place into our museum for a nostalgic tribute to the the founders. The company now was able to design two state of the art pieces fire apparatus in the Saulisbury Twins. The twins consist of Engine 11 and Rescue 12. As membership and emergency calls rose the company has purchased more equipment in a 1996 Ford F-350 Squad, 2003 Ford Explorer Command Vehicle and most recently a 2010 Polaris Ranger to continue to meet the needs of the community.